The objectives for which MERAS has been established are:
- To stimulate and encourage MERAS membership
- To promote and enhance the economic and industrial interests of MERAS members
- To develop, negotiate and promote a national collective employment agreement for midwives
- To do all such things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of all or some of the above objects and to promote any other activity that is in harmony with the said objects and those of the New Zealand College of Midwives
Membership of MERAS is now at approximately 1000 members with ongoing steady growth.
MERAS has engaged a midwife Representative to work in the Auckland region with the aim of supporting the growth and development of the union.
Structures based on DHB areas are operating allowing for the election of representatives to the unions National Representative Council. This council meets regularly to guide the activities of the union.
The renewal of the union’s national collective employment agreement for midwives with District Health Board employers has occurred with the new agreement scheduled to run until 2017.
MERAS continues to undertake negotiations with smaller midwifery employers and provides individual and collective representation and support for midwives in their employment over problems and issues.
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone 03 372 9738