Base and Hawera Maternity Units
0.6 FTE (48 Hours per fortnight)
Taranaki District Health Board are currently seeking applicants for a Clinical Midwife Educator within the Maternity Services. The role is based in New Plymouth and includes providing services for Hawera Maternity Unit.
The focus of this position is on planning and providing education and professional development for Maternity Unit Staff and Lead Maternity Carer’s (LMC’s) to meet service and Midwifery/Nursing Council recertification requirements.
The successful applicant will liaise between Taranaki District Health Board (TDHB) and the various education providers with regard to recertification requirements, and act as a resource for those undertaking undergraduate and postgraduate study. This position also ensures specific education requirements for New Graduate Midwives are met.
You will have an input into planning processes including the co-ordination and review of Maternity protocols, assisting the Associate Director of Midwifery with the implementation of the Maternity Quality and safety Programme, be an active member at the TDHB Nurse/Midwife Educator meetings as well as the expectation to act as Clinical Midwife Manager during periods of planned and unplanned leave.
The ideal candidates will have the following attributes:
- Hold current professional registration and practicing certificate.
- High level of clinical skills in maternity care.
- Preferably have a minimum of 5 year post graduate Midwifery experience.
- Evidence of continuing education, to a minimum of degree level.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate clearly research based midwifery advice to multidisciplinary teams.
- Have a Current or be willing to work towards QLP portfolio assessment.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Have a commitment to quality assurance and accreditation principles.
- Adult Education and teaching skills
- Able to work rostered shifts and working in all areas of the maternity unit, including community midwifery practice.
- Computer, research knowledge and writing skills
The Maternity Unit is family centred and the staff are committed to providing a quality service for the women and families in Taranaki. The goal of the Unit is to provide the mother with a safe and positive birthing experience, providing mothers with the necessary knowledge and skills to enable her and her family to care for their baby. Taranaki is a breast feeding friendly hospital and our staff are focused on ensuring families gain parenting and breastfeeding skills.
The Antenatal and Labour Ward provides both pre labour and labour care and consists of six birthing rooms and seven antenatal beds. The Post Natal ward consists of 18 to 21 beds. There are between 1200 and 1300 births per year. Four obstetricians provide consultations and secondary care for Maternity cases which includes transfers in from community facilities, and homebirths. Hospital Midwives provide support for LMC Midwives, Midwifery care for secondary cases as well as private primary Obstetrician cases.
The Taranaki District Health Board (TDHB) is the primary provider of health services to the 105,000 people of the Taranaki Region.
Taranaki is one of those magical places in the world where people come for a visit, and find they never want to leave. And you will too. The wonderful natural environment with a majestic mountain at its heart, the rugged coastline world-renowned for its surf, great career opportunities, our love of art and culture, thriving cafés, and outdoor living mean it’s a fantastic place to work, live and play.
For further information please contact Rachael Peek, Associate Director of Midwifery, via email Rachael.Peek@tdhb.org.nz