Professional Indemnity Insurance covers the costs and expenses of defending allegations of professional malpractice in the provision of all midwifery services, including family planning, Well Child services, neonatal intensive care, primary healthcare, promotion, prevention, women’s health, lactation consultancy, childbirth education, midwifery education, expert midwifery advice, midwifery standards review, and conflict resolutions/grief counselling. The policy also pays compensatory damages awarded against you in such cases.
Why indemnity insurance is necessary
There are many forums where a midwife may need legal assistance to defend her practice, so indemnity insurance is vital.
Currently the Ministry of Health requires authorised practitioners holding an Access Agreement to maintain Professional Indemnity protection.
Cover provided by indemnity insurance
Indemnity Insurance covers you for incidents that may result in:
- Health and Disability Commissioner enquiries
- Human Rights Review Tribunal proceedings for monetary claims alleging malpractice or breech of privacy
- Coroner’s Court inquiries and hearings
- Accident Compensation treatment injury claims
- Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act (2003) proceedings including those involving; Midwifery Council, Professional Conduct Committee, The Director of Proceedings, The Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Public liability and civil actions in contract; unintentional defamation; consumer law and privacy or intellectual property infringement claims
- Loss of Documents
- Claims of negligence or error
- Criminal Prosecutions
- Defamation proceedings