Kia ora members
With the announcement of the move to Alert level 4, we know we have been here before and we can do it again. Midwives are essential health care providers.
Information for midwives on Covid-19 Alert Level 4 is available here: https://www.midwife.org.nz/midwives/covid-19/
We have recently confirmed with the Ministry of Health that PPE will be distributed via the same DHB channels as in the previous lockdowns for employed and self-employed midwives.
We are in close communication with the Ministry of Health regarding whether there will be any changes to recommendations for midwives due to the Delta variant and we will update you via member emails if there are any changes.
- In the short term, until we understand the possible length of the lockdown: the recommendation is to defer any non-urgent in-person visits. Clinical judgement is required, and it is important to document all decisions.
- If the lockdown is prolonged, the alert level 4 recommended schedule of contacts will be recommended.
- Women with acute needs should still be seen in person.
- Wearing masks (midwives and whānau) is strongly recommended for any in-person contact, and where possible support people/whānau are limited to one.
- Practise physical distancing, meticulous hand hygiene, Covid tracer app scanning
- Limit physical contact to what is necessary and complete the assessment by phone/video call where possible.
If you have any questions, please check the College website, or contact your employer, your regional chair/committee, or the College advisors.
The College will continue to operate offsite during lockdown. You can contact us via the usual channels – phone or email: https://www.midwife.org.nz/about-the-college/personnel/or email email@example.com