Tēnā koutou members,
The following new information and updates are relevant to midwives providing care during alert levels 2 and 3.
- All services that are operating during alert levels 2 and 3 are required to display the official NZ COVID Tracer QR code posters in a prominent place at or near the main entrances of their premises, by 19 August. This includes midwifery clinics. To get your QR code and posters for your clinic, see the Ministry of Health website.
- We are aware that some midwives are experiencing stress and fatigue due to the intensity of providing care during the first wave of Covid-19 and into this current resurgence. The Ministry of Health has recognised the mental health impact of Covid-19 and has provided dedicated support for health workers. On the Covid-19 Mental health and wellbeing resources webpage there is information about counselling services that are available to support frontline health workers.
- Covid-19 Advice for Māori has been produced by Te Rōpū Whakakaupapa Urutā | National Māori Pandemic Group.
- We recommend that midwives download the Ministry of Health Āwhina app which provides notifications of updated Covid advice.
- Midwives can advise women and whānau to wear a face covering when leaving the house to come to a midwifery appointment. The MoH has provided instructions and videos for people to make their own face coverings and wear them safely. Please share this information with pregnant women who need to leave their home to access midwifery care.
- MERAS continues to update its website on information specifically for employed midwives relating to Covid-19.
- The Ministry of Health is yet to publish updated advice specifically for maternity at the new alert levels, however general advice for health and disability services, including midwifery, at Alert level 2 and Alert level 3, has been published. For midwifery-specific advice, the College’s guidance is on our website.
- The Ministry of Health have provided updated advice on their website about the use of PPE in maternity settings for levels 2 & 3